Opinions needed on some new equipment

More
13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #1 by misterpat
This past Sunday, I picked up a new camera bag from Unique Photo in Fairfield, NJ. I ended up getting a Lowpro Pro Runner 350 AW. You can see it here--> www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672935-RE...o_Runner_350_AW.html

I have to say I'm extremely pleased with this backpack.

Now one thing leads to another. It has a tripod holster type of strap on the back of it. My current tripod is way too tall in its folded length, so I've been looking at smaller, more compact tripods. I love the height of my current one, but I really don't use it often, so its not needed as much as a smaller overall tripod would be.

To cut to the chase, Im looking at something like this--> www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745964-RE..._Section_Tripod.html

Only problem is the price. But the folded length is perfect with an extended length of about 42 inches.

* Compact carbon fiber tripod legs with shoulder strap
* 22 millimeter diameter, 5-section legs
* Collapses to 13 5/8 inches
* Expands to 41 3/4 inches
* Stone bag hook on center column

My plan is to keep this as short as possible for easy transport on the backpack, so a short head is in order. I'm in love with my pistol grip head on my current tripod, but it adds about 5-6 inches of height. So I searched around and found this --> www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-322RC2-Joystick...d=1300749459&sr=8-20

* Unblock, move, position and lock your camera with one hand in one position
* Revolutionary grip handle design with ball lock lever
* Friction control wheel regulates power of the blocking mechanism to match the weight of your camera and lens
* Built-in bubble spirit level and quick release camera plate
* Load capacity of 11 pounds; 5.5 pound capacity when in the vertical position

What I'm looking for is opinions on that tripod, maybe some suggestions on a similar, less expensive one and any feedback on that head (quality wise)

Thanks!

New bag pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #2 by Vacant NJ
That's a lot of bones for a tripod! For years I used a shitty plastic tripod I found in the garbage, and it worked well until it finally broke. I searched Amazon and this is the tripod I bought as a replacement and currently use now (tinyurl.com/4auuz9n). For $39.99 it's certainly not the Rolls-Royce of tripods, but it works great for me, I've had no problems thus far. Since it's made of aluminum it's quite light and it even comes with a convenient case. At the end of the day a tripod is just something that has to hold your camera steady, and I see no reason to pay $200+ bucks for a tripod unless it's gonna make me a sandwich and doubles as a taser.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #3 by 8redrum

Vacant_NJ wrote: That's a lot of bones for a tripod! For years I used a shitty plastic tripod I found in the garbage, and it worked well until it finally broke. I searched Amazon and this is the tripod I bought as a replacement and currently use now (tinyurl.com/4auuz9n). For $39.99 it's certainly not the Rolls-Royce of tripods, but it works great for me, I've had no problems thus far. Since it's made of aluminum it's quite light and it even comes with a convenient case. At the end of the day a tripod is just something that has to hold your camera steady, and I see no reason to pay $200+ bucks for a tripod unless it's gonna make me a sandwich and doubles as a taser.

My tripod was $300 for the tripod and the head! Lot of money yes!!!! But it also act's as a Crack Head Be Good Sitck!!!! LOL I can bash someone brains in if need be....:woot:

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #4 by msterscary
I got my Sunpak tripod a few months back as a deal on the Groupon website. It was $39.99- goes for $80 most places. I wish I had my old one though- it was great when I worked at the camera store years ago. I could just rummage through the used equipment and find good deals. I don't remember the brand but it was a light metal- very sturdy & strong. Had it for years till I went to Colorado & between Continental & the TSA it got dented and wouldn't clip/hold one of the legs.

How do you like the new backpack? I almost got one of those for when I travel so I can keep my laptop safe.