Your better pictures with details

More
13 years 4 months ago #1 by misterpat
Lets see is we can get some of Your better pics posted along with the EXIF data. Maybe it can help some of us uneducated photographers.

Here is one of mine taken at Digman's Falls in PA.

EXIF data:

1 second shutter
F8
Aperture Priority
ISO200

Any other info we should add to each posted pic?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #2 by Vacant NJ
That's an awesome photo Pat!

More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by Error 404
General recommendations:I would recommend using the Live preview feature if your DSLR has it. that way you can see what you get before shooting.
Also try to use the law of thirds for framing instead of just centering the subject.
Dont be afraid to crop in tightly on your subject either. Especially if the background is very busy or color contrasty, you want the main focus on the subject not the busyness behind it.
Look for framing and compositions that draw the eye deeper into the image and make you linger on it. what seperate a good photo from a great photo is its ability to cause you to stay with that image, rather than just hitting next on the viewer/browser.
USE A TRIPOD!
if you dont have one, get one. Lighting can be very tricky in most places and long exposures are often necessary to capture the available light. It also allows you to use a slower ISO setting. like 100 which is usually the lowest most DLSR's will go. The image quality is higher, there's less "noise" and almost always truer and more vivid colors and sharpness to the images.
IF you cant get a tripod, place your camera on the ground or a solid level object, set up the framing and focus, switch focus from auto to manual once its nice and sharp, then use the timer so you can trigger the shutter and walk away from the area so you dont et any bumping of the object you placed the camera on. A tube sock filled with rice will also work for uneven surfaces, just be aware that rice will absorb ANY moisture in the air and can get funky from it. perhaps using a plastic bag inside the sock to reduce this.
If you dont have either, wad up your shirt or jacket and place the camera on that (on rough surfaces/uneven support etc)
My Best advice, READ THE CAMERAS MANUAL! shooting on auto is fine but you'll be much more satisfied with the results from the creative modes, like (M)anual, Tv= time value or shutter speed (length of exposure time) in tv you set time and camera selects best aperture for the light available, Av works the opposite way, you set aperture and camera selects the proper exposure time. My fav tho is DEP (depth of field), not alot of cameras have this feature but what it does is it allow you to pick to different points of focus from with in the frame at different distances in depth of field or planes with in the image. The camera then determine what the F-stop Aperture should be and the time to expose for this. This is a great way to learn about how F-stop effects the focus of your camera and is really a great feature once you get used to it.
Even the P program mode is better than auto, it will allow you change the aperture or shutter speed on the fly while still maintaining proper exposure.
I could go on but there are so many things to talk about. I would suggest going to this website and reading some of the articles. Their free and a great source of info and inspirational photos to et your creative juices flowing
www.digital-photography-school.com/

More
13 years 4 months ago #4 by Error 404
whoops, I didnt realize this was to post your better pictures, not a how to take better pictures post thread.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #5 by Error 404
These are some of my shots from Scranton Lace in PA. I do not have the exif data as these where taken with a T-mobile G1 cell phone camera and mildly edited in PS for color correction and sharpness, most are hand held or with the phone pressed up against a wall or other object.

More
13 years 4 months ago #6 by misterpat

Error 404 wrote: whoops, I didnt realize this was to post your better pictures, not a how to take better pictures post thread.

Its an informative thread. who cares how it goes as long as we learn from it. :-?

More
13 years 2 months ago #7 by momma

More
13 years 2 months ago #8 by momma

More
13 years 2 months ago #9 by hidinginshadows

More
13 years 2 months ago #10 by misterpat
Details on the last 4? :-?

More
13 years 2 months ago #11 by momma
My pic is of my dog. There is a ton of detail in the one of his whole head. So much so, u can see the entire deck reflection in his eyeball lol. I need to know how to get a sharp crisp pic of my dogs in motion, fast motion. I read that I have to increase the aperture. But that makes a bad pic. Do I need a tripod?

This is what I'm trying to achieve... See how the dogs WHOLE body, even so snow kicking up is so clear

More
13 years 2 months ago #12 by misterpat
Lets see what the pros say, but You want to get Your shutter speed as fast as possible for that.