We Will Never Forget!

More
14 years 7 months ago #1 by momma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2 by hidinginshadows
9-11 is always a tough day for me, many mixed emotions of anger and sadness. Memories of mine that stick out from that day are, getting the call from my aunt mary to turn on the news. "the world trade center was struck by an airplane". I was watching live when the second plane hit. I remember the feeling of rage and anger realizing that we were under attack.
September 12th my friend Rob and I made our way to ground zero.
It was like a warzone. Military personel armed with M-16s, smoke billowing from the wreckage of the towers, emergency vehicles speeding around. Civilians were walking around with blank shocked faces. The oddest thing was the speakers of world trade center plaza were still playing music. That sleepy elevator kind of music. The music was hard to hear over the sound of hundreds of firemens locator devices chirping away. The devices activate when a fireman goes prone and stops moving. I will never forget that sound.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3 by hidinginshadows
photos taken on a crappy 110 camera

More
14 years 7 months ago #4 by hidinginshadows

More
14 years 7 months ago #5 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic We Will Never Forget!
That year was a very hard year for me. It was my senior year in hs. I remember my english teacher coming in my home room class saying that two planes had struck the wtc. I bounced right away to see the disaster myself. I did not believe it. A national land mark gone that was in my back yard. A week later i almost died in a car accident and a month before graduation my mom had passed away. Yeah so my senior year in hs sucked.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 7 months ago #6 by momma
Replied by momma on topic We Will Never Forget!
I remember dropping my daughter off at Nana's for the day and Nana say,"Look, a plane hit the Trade Center!" I watched, automatically thought it was a small personal plane that struck a part of the tower that was unoccupied, maybe only antenna and electrical crap. Never in my wildest dreams did I think anything of what it really was. On my way to work in Piscataway I tried to call my now husband and my cell would not work. Finally got to work, and at 10am they shut the Pepsi plant down. On our way home, coming up rt. 22 we watched the massive amount of black smoke coming from the NYC skyline as we listened to the horror unfold on the radio. We went straight to Montclair, Highland Ave. to be precise. We went there because Eagle Rock Reservation was JAM packed. Never in my life have I ever felt so sick and so sad as when I watched the towers fall while standing on the side of the road holding my daughter in one arm and squeezing my husbands hand with my other hand. To all those who lost their lives, and to those who lost loved ones......I WILL NEVER FORGET!

More
14 years 7 months ago #7 by hidinginshadows
Wow Momma, I was living in Montclair at the time. The first place I tried to go was Eagle rock. Like you said it was packed and the police were turning cars away. I settled on watching from Bloomfield ave right next to the museum. It gave me chills when I looked across the horizon and saw first hand what I had been seeing on the news. I remember driving up Bloomfield ave past MTC police station, A police officer I was friends with was standing on the steps off the police station in full tactical gear, hemet and m-4 included. We both gave each other a solem look as I drove past. It really added to the enormity of the situation.
The first pic I posted was from 9-12-01 taken from Eagle rock Reservation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #8 by momma
Replied by momma on topic We Will Never Forget!
wow, we were pretty much parallel to u. I remember after too, all the smoke, for days

More
14 years 7 months ago #9 by misterpat
Replied by misterpat on topic We Will Never Forget!
On that day, I got up and started to drive to work like I always did. Hit route 80 and it was a stand still. No problem, I was listening to Howard Stern and he was saying how a plane just hit the Twin Towers. I thought it was one of his jokes. Changed the channel and it was the same thing.

Got to work and everyone in the office at the company I was working at, Con-Way in Little Falls, had the radio on listening to what was going on. Made my deliveries that day like normal, only difference was every stop I went to had the TV/radio on. I spent an extra 5 minutes at each stop to get updated.

One of my stops was in West Orange at the Thomas Edison industrial complex on main street. I was speaking to an employee at the company I was delivering to and he told me they were headed to the roof to get a better view. He was nice enough to invite me along. We took the freight elevator to the top and had a great view of what was going on. Perfectly blue sky, but black looking east. :(