Paul Gray- Bassist of Slipknot

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by msterscary
Multiplatinum nu-metal collective Slipknot, known for their ever-present face masks, horrorcore imagery, and theatrical stage shows, lost bassist Paul Gray today; he was 38.

TMZ says, via information obtained from the Urbandale Police Department, that Gray’s body was found by an employee at an Iowa hotel early this morning, and the Des Moines Register has reported that there is no evidence of foul play; an autopsy with toxicology tests is scheduled for tomorrow, May 25.

The band’s publicist verified his death, but did not provide additional details: “I can confirm that the news is sadly true,” she tells EW, “But that is all I can offer at this time.”

An autopsy failed Tuesday to determine how Slipknot bassist Paul Gray died at a suburban Des Moines hotel, and it likely will be weeks before toxicology results are available that could determine the cause of death, police said.

Gray, a founding member of the Grammy-winning Des Moines metal band, was found dead Monday in a room at the hotel in Urbandale. Gray, 38, lived in Johnston, a nearby suburb.

Urbandale police released a statement Tuesday that said the autopsy was completed but the death remained under investigation. Polk County Medical Examiner Gregory Schmunk said it could be four to six weeks before toxicology results are available.

Police say the autopsy did confirm there was no evidence of foul play or trauma, and that Gray had been dead for several hours when a hotel worker found his body.

Urbandale Sgt. Dave Disney said a worker at the TownePlace Suites went to Gray's room after an unidentified relative called the hotel and asked them to check on him. The relative had made several unsuccessful calls to Gray before seeking help from the hotel.

Disney said Gray had wanted some time to himself.

"There'd been a number of issues that led him to want to have, I think, just some alone time," Disney said. "He went there to be by himself, and he had various reasons."

Slipknot emerged in the mid-1990s as a band known for its grotesque masks, trashing sound and aggressive, dark lyrics. Slipknot's 1999 debut album sold about 2 million copies, and the band won a Grammy in 2006 for best metal performance for the song "Before I Forget."

Concert industry trade publication Pollstar ranked Slipknot 18th in its Top 20 Concert Tours list in 2009.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by EsseXploreR
My guess is drugs. Its really a shame, i still listen to them from time to time

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by msterscary
They found hypodermic needles & a bottle of pills near him.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by EsseXploreR
well... that will do it

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
13 years 10 months ago #5 by rattlehead
I never knew of him but its still a sad day and loss to the Metal community, on a side note Joey Jordison is a terrific Drummer.