Robert Culp dies at 79

More
14 years 1 month ago #1 by riada
Robert Culp dies at 79 was created by riada
Robert Martin Culp, an actor and scriptwriter, widely known for his work in television died at the age of 79 on March 24, 2010. Culp earned an international reputation for his role as Kelly Robinson on I Spy (1965–1968), the espionage series, where he and co-star Bill Cosby played a pair of secret agents.

Robert Culp came to national attention very early in his career as the star of the 1957–1959 Western television series Trackdown, in which he played Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman. Trackdown was a spin-off of Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater, also on CBS.

Culp continued to work in television, including a guest-starring role as Stewart Douglas in the 1960 episode "So Dim the Light" of CBS's anthology series, The DuPont Show with June Allyson. He also appeared on the NBC anthology series, The Barbara Stanwyck Show. He was cast as Captain Shark in a first season episode of NBC's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1964).

Some of Culp's well known roles were those in The Outer Limits (1963–1965), including the classic "Demon with a Glass Hand", on ABC's crime drama Target: The Corruptors!, and he also starred in NBC's modern Western series Empire starring Richard Egan and co-star, Ryan O'Neal.

Secret agent Kelly Robinson was portrayed by Cult for three years on the NBC series I Spy with co-star Bill Cosby. Culp wrote the scripts for seven episodes, one of which he also directed.

More television projects he was a part of were: Columbo and The Name of the Game with Gene Barry. In 1987 Culp reunited with Bill Cosby on The Cosby Show, playing Dr. Cliff Huxtable's old friend Scott Kelly. The name was a combination of their I Spy characters' names. He might also be known for his portrayal of Deborah's (Patricia Heaton) father on Everyone Loves Raymond

Nor but in sleep findeth a cure for care.
Incertainty that once gave scope to dream
Of laughing enterprise and glory untold,
Is now a blackness that no stars redeem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.