Former Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart is being sought by authorities on assault charges.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1 by riada

According to the AP, police in Kentucky have issued a warrant for the arrest of Hart stemming from an alleged Sept. 7 incident after a performance by the Mickey Hart Band at Terrapin Hill Farm in Harrodsburg, Kentucky.

Police reports obtained by TMZ show that Hart was on his band’s tour bus when his manager asked the accuser to come aboard and to speak with Hart. When the accuser entered the bus, which he owns and had rented to the band, he claims Hart directed him to the back section, closed the door behind him, and “proceeded to beat the living crap out [of him],” says the report.

“[Mickey Hart] threw me down, started [to] cuss [at] me, hitting me, pushing me around then told me to get off MY bus.”

Hart said he was “baffled by a bizarre claim of an assault” in an e-mail to his local newspaper, the Marin Independent Journal.

“Any accusation or claim of assault against me is completely false and without any basis whatsoever. I played drums on ‘Shakedown Street,’ but I never expected to be ‘The Victim or the Crime,’” he said, referencing two Grateful Dead songs.

Before Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia died in 1995, the band was one of the world’s top touring acts and has long been credited for creating innovative business models. Forbes has estimated Hart’s own net worth at $30 million.

“Let’s admit it,” writes business scholar Barry Barnes in his book Everything I Know About Business I learned From the Grateful Dead. “They were not exactly poster boys for corporate America, [but] the Dead’s influence on the business world will turn out to be a significant part of their legacy. Without intending to, the band pioneered ideas and practices that were subsequently embraced by American corporations.”

In a recent interview with Barnes, a former IBM and John Deere IT executive who first saw the Grateful Dead in 1969, he said he was at a Dead show in 1985 when he realized the band had some lessons to teach the business world.

“I have a passion for music, and something about the Grateful Dead really got to me. I had to understand their ability to change and their improvisation,” Barnes said, pointing out that both are crucial in today’s tough economy times in a rapidly evolving high-tech world.

“Even now, 16 years after breaking up, the Grateful Dead, remains a formidable business empire.”

Nor but in sleep findeth a cure for care.
Incertainty that once gave scope to dream
Of laughing enterprise and glory untold,
Is now a blackness that no stars redeem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.