10 historic N.J. sites are in danger of extinction, nonprofit group says

More
11 years 11 months ago #1 by EsseXploreR
One is a deteriorating insane asylum in Salem County erected in 1870. Another is the final resting place of former slaves and Civil War veterans in decay. A third is Gingerbread Castle built by a theater set designer that’s been neglected for decades. They’re three of 10 historic sites targeted by a nonprofit group for being in danger of extinction. Preservation New Jersey released its 18th annual list this morning, highlighting 10 historic sites from Salem to Sussex County. Leaders said they hope drawing attention to the sites will generate interest and maybe even funding, the resources needed to maintain the pieces of New Jersey history.

“The act of listing these resources acknowledges their importance to the heritage of New Jersey,” said David Knights, Preservation New Jersey’s president.The sites are nominated by the public and chosen based on three criteria: historical significance, the level of the threat against it, and the likelihood that inclusion on the list will help the site.Yolanda Romero, a trustee of the Mount Peace Cemetery in Lawnside, said the board has struggled to find the money even to mow the grass at the burial ground for Civil War veterans and former slaves.

“We were desperate for money this year,” she said.

But after a news article ran describing the cemetery’s struggles, locals chipped in to help with it’s upkeep. She said they’re hoping the Preservation New Jersey list will bring the same kind of attention and help. It was used as a cemetery for African-Americans who were excluded from other cemeteries, starting in 1902.

“It’s really important for us to support that ground,” Romero said.

The 10 sites are:
• The Franklin Inn, in Franklin Township, Somerset County. It was built in 1756 and suffered flooding damage in Tropical Storm Irene last summer.
• Hope Fire Company/American Legion Post 254 in Mays Landing, Hamilton Township Atlantic County. It was built in 1894 and is deteriorating .
• Howell House, in Cape May, built before 1850.
• Jersey City Terminal Train Shed, a 1914 train shed in Liberty State Park in Jersey City.
• Kastner Mansion in Newark, a Victorian-era beer baron mansion.
• Lime Kilns of New Jersey, remnants of the lime industry in northwest New Jersey that are threatened by deterioration and vandalism.
• Mount Peace Cemetery, the African-American cemetery in Lawnside.
• Salem County Insane Asylum, erected in 1870 and vacated in 1995.
• Tichenor-Gregory-Goddel-Wallisch Farmstead in West Milford.
• Wheatsworth Mill and Gingerbread Castle in Hamburg. The mill was built in phases starting in 1808, and the amusement park next door was erected in the 1920s.

www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/ten_hi..._sites_targeted.html

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #2 by Vacant NJ
Interesting that after all these years the Gingerbread Castle and Wheatsworth Mill have been added to the list. The Salem County Insane Asylum piqued my interested so I looked up a picture of the building and quickly realized why I never heard of it before.

More
11 years 11 months ago #3 by EsseXploreR
I know right? i have been scanning that area for such a long time on bing and then realized it was too small to see! Such a letdown.

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/