Detroit Darwin Award winners of the year???

More
12 years 4 months ago #1 by shadowbat
www.myfoxdetroit.com//dpp/news/local/2-p...collapse-20111214-ms

2 Dead after Ceiling Collapses in Vacant Detroit Nursing Home
Police Say Men Were Stealing Scrap Metal

Updated: Wednesday, 14 Dec 2011, 10:24 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 14 Dec 2011, 3:29 PM EST

Ron Savage

By RON SAVAGE
WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

DETROIT (WJBK) - Two people are found dead inside a vacant nursing home in Detroit. Crews braved treacherous conditions to recover their bodies.

Heavy equipment was brought in to dig out the bodies of two men who investigaters say were working to steal scrap metal. They were both killed when a heavy ceiling collapsed.

Sources who saw the victims said the men used an acetylene torch to cut structural I-beams. Three beams were cut leading to the heavy collapse.

Firefighters were called to the building Wednesday afternoon, but the two bodies could not be removed until Wednesday night when the heavy debris covering them was cleared.

"We had fire, police, EMS, as well as Building Safety and Engineering working to recover the bodies of what we believe are two scrappers that were located in this building earlier today following information received with the police department," said Detroit Police Inspector Vicki Yost.

It happened at the former Arnold Nursing Home at Seven Mile and Glastonberry in northwest Detroit. The home closed in early 2000. Tom Wilson lives in the neighborhood and said the five story buidling is a death trap.

"I said, God forbid, they're going to find somebody dead in there, and as we speak today... they've got two bodies in there," he told FOX 2.

Police have not released the identities of the two men, but it's no question stealing scrap metal is a dangerous way to make a buck.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, and... these guys, I don't understand them," said Wilson. "I went in that building once and I didn't go too far, and... you're going to sit there and cut a structural beam out of a ceiling of a building. Come on. You've got to have more sense than that."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #2 by shadowbat
Also:

*investigators
*building
*spell check

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.