Clarence Clemens

More
12 years 10 months ago #1 by riada
Clarence Clemens was created by riada
Clarence Clemons, saxophonist for the E Street Band, has suffered a stroke and is hospitalized in Florida. The news broke last nightg at 411.com, which reported that Clemons is "seriously ill after a stroke at his home in Florida" - and Rolling Stone has confirmed the accuracy of this report.

Over the last decade, Clemons has suffered a variety of medical ailments requiring surgery - mostly involving his hips, knees and back. He hasn't missed any concerts, but the conditions caused him to suffer a tremendous amount of pain and discomfort. "That last tour was hell," Clemons told Rolling Stone in February. "Pure hell." In the past year Clemons had both knees replaced and spinal fusion surgery. "The timing was perfect because it didn't interfere with a lot of stuff that was going on in my life," he says. "It made me stronger, and for the past year I've been in physical therapy a few days a week working my ass off to get back in shape. I'm walking better now, though I still use a cane and crutches. But now I'm having hip problems again. I don't know why."

Clemons last performed with Springsteen and the E Street Band in December of 2010 at Asbury Park's Carousel House for a special web broadcast taping. He performs on two songs on Lady Gaga's new album Born This Way, and just last month played "Edge of Glory" with her at the season finale of American Idol. He was supposed to play the national anthem before Game 2 of the NBA Finals last week, but a hand injury forced him to cancel at the last minute. He watched the game in the stands with Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning.

When Rolling Stone spoke to Clemons in February he said that virtually nothing would take him off the road with Springsteen and The E Street Band. "As long as my mouth, hands and brain still work I'll be out there doing it," he said. "I'm going to keep going 'til I'm not there anymore. This is what's keeping me alive and feeling young and inspired. My spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy told me that my purpose in life is to bring joy and light to the world, and I don't know any better way to do then what I'm doing now."

Springsteen: Band mate Clemons' stroke 'serious'
NEW YORK, Tue Jun 14, 06:19 PM

Bruce Springsteen says band mate Clarence Clemons' stroke was serious and he's going to need a lot of help to get back to his former self. The Boss commented Tuesday on his longtime friend and E Street Band member on his website, Twitter and Facebook. It's the first time he's spoken since it was revealed Sunday that Clemons had suffered a stroke.

Springsteen calls the saxophonist a "beloved comrade" and described the stroke as "serious."

He says: "Clarence will need much care and support to achieve his potential once again."

Springsteen says Clemons is surrounded by wife Victoria, other family and friends, and thanked fans for their prayers and good thoughts.

Clemons' family also thanked fans on Springsteen's site and urged fans to email their well wishes to notestoclarence(at)clarenceclemons.com.

Nor but in sleep findeth a cure for care.
Incertainty that once gave scope to dream
Of laughing enterprise and glory untold,
Is now a blackness that no stars redeem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.