Defunct Essex Cty Hospital Scheduled for Demolition

More
13 years 6 months ago #1 by Vacant NJ
It’s time of service past, the now defunct Essex County Hospital Center campus in Cedar Grove — which housed and treated psychiatric patients from 1896 until its final closure in 2007 — has been slated for demolition. In a news conference this afternoon, Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. will join with officials from K Hovnanian to discuss the details of the plan. The County Executive requested that K Hovnanian remove the abandoned buildings because they had become “safety hazards and eyesores in the community,” according to a press release.
Formerly known as the Overbrook Insane Asylum, the facility has been a source of eerie fascination for many, and the site of ongoing alleged paranormal activities.
The subject of TV shows Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters in 2008, the 90-acre ground is said to be haunted. According to Weird New Jersey, which has written extensively on the hospital’s history, Overbrook suffered a major catastrophe during the winter of 1917. The failure of the hospital’s boilers during particularly cold weather resulted in the death of 24 patients in 20 days, with patients freezing to death in their beds. The New York Times featured the tragedy on December 21 of that year.
Watch the video above by Baristanet’s special reporter on creepy places, Wheeler Antabanez, and then tell us if you believe in paranormal activity. Is it just a sad old eyesore, like the county says, or is it haunted. Or both.
We put the question to you, Baristaville: Once the building comes down, where will the ghosts go?

Original Link: [url:3gy53nt6]www.baristanet.com/2010/09/defunct-essex...uled-for-demolition/[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by EsseXploreR
yeah there is a excavator parked outside the firehouse as we speak, even though its supposed to be saved

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
13 years 6 months ago #3 by finalexit
Another great Urbex site soon to be no more...sad. Hope it's a nice park at least....

More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by ashley25
what what what?? oh my god. oh my god i can't fucking take this. this is my favorite place in the world. i'm just ... i'm just fucking dumb founded right now. i can't even begin to process this.... does anyone have a timeline?

More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by lithiumbaby

Ashley25 wrote: what what what?? oh my god. oh my god i can't fucking take this. this is my favorite place in the world. i'm just ... i'm just fucking dumb founded right now. i can't even begin to process this.... does anyone have a timeline?

That's the grim reality of life my dear, all good things must come to an end. We should throw a party and pay our respects.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
13 years 6 months ago #6 by msterscary
In the immortal words of George Harrison.... "All things must pass".

More
13 years 6 months ago #7 by misterpat
Sounds like time to rile up the troops and get a trip going for everyone that hasn't seen this great place to explore.

More
13 years 6 months ago #8 by almostgone
let me know when this really sucks

More
13 years 6 months ago #9 by finalexit

MisterPat wrote: Sounds like time to rile up the troops and get a trip going for everyone that hasn't seen this great place to explore.

I'm with you....one last visit to say goodbye....

More
13 years 6 months ago #10 by butch
what is the address of this hospital ? Please

More
13 years 6 months ago #11 by lithiumbaby

Butch wrote: what is the address of this hospital ? Please

No one here will just give you the address here sweetheart. It's common UE ettiquette, not to give away locations on a public forum. Just who do you think you are signing up here looking for free give aways? We hardly know you, or at least I don't know you. We don't know your intentions and weather you are going to vandalize these places. Do your own research, darling. Many of us do. Google goes a long way.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
13 years 6 months ago #12 by butch
No Father died there in 1952

More
13 years 5 months ago #13 by misterpat

Butch wrote: No Father died there in 1952

Mind sharing the story? Welcome aboard!

More
13 years 5 months ago #14 by rattlehead
Hi Butch welcome.

More
13 years 5 months ago #15 by ashley25
Is there an update on this situation? I'm seriously starting to lose sleep over it. Call me crazy... because I am. None of the places I have visited have captured me quite like ECH :(

Last I heard, there was to be a meeting this past Monday to decide if the lawsuit regarding Parcel 5 (the major portion of Overbrook on the eastern side of the main drag) would be dropped or not. If a compromise was not reached, this would TOTALLY make my whole damn year, because it would mean Parcel 5 remains under litigation and could not be touched whatsoever. I want to ASSuME that no news is good news, but we all know where ASS-u-Me-ing gets us. Any information is sincerely appreciated. Thanks guys.

More
13 years 5 months ago #16 by lithiumbaby
Hey Ashley, since we're pretty close to age we should chill one day and go exploring. Are you on FB?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
13 years 5 months ago #17 by ashley25
I'll PM you the link to my profile =)