N. Caldwell Officer Injured in Old Jail Annex Search

More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by Vacant NJ
N. Caldwell Officer Injured in Old Jail Annex Search
Police chief calls for 'emergency meeting' to discuss vacant building.
By Teresa Akersten | Email the author | August 28, 2010

A North Caldwell police officer was injured Friday night when he fell through a hole at the old Essex County Jail Annex while searching for four Bloomfield residents who allegedly forced their way into the abandoned building.

According to Police Chief Mark Deuer, Officer Charles Krueser was taken to Chilton Memorial Hospital in Pompton Plains where he was treated for a broken right ankle and was later released.

A search that began Friday night at approximately 10:30 p.m., ended with the apprehension of three of the four suspects Saturday morning at about 1 a.m., Deuer said.

Marcel Grosz, 20, and two juveniles have been charged with alleged burglary, assault on a police officer by causing injury, criminal mischief and trespassing, Deuer said.

Each of the suspects were held at the North Caldwell Police Department and later released on $5,000 bail, Deuer said.

The fourth suspect, who faces the same charges, has been identified and a warrant has been issued for his arrest, Deuer said.

According to Deuer, a security guard on the grounds spotted flashlights in the building and notified the police.

Members of the North Caldwell, Verona and Essex Fells police departments conducted the search for the suspects, who were each found individually, Deuer said.

"We found them each one at a time," Deuer said.

Deuer said it remains unclear why the individuals were in the building. The chief said the police have recently caught others trespassing at the site, which is in the process of being converted into a housing complex.

Deuer has called for an "emergency meeting" on Monday to discuss the building, which is owned by developers K. Hovnanian, and the possibility of expediting plans to demolish it.

"It's not a safe dwelling," Deuer said. "People are attracted to it, so we need to get it removed."

A previous version of this story stated four men were allegedly involved. However, one of the juveniles was a female.

Original Article Link: [url:29q2riet]caldwells.patch.com/articles/n-caldwell-...ld-jail-annex-search[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by hidinginshadows
wow! good thing that cop didn't get killed or those kids would have been looking at a homicide charge.

More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by ashley25
Fuckin' idiots, the whole lot of them. That cop made himself look like such a pussy - you twisted your ankle, man up and grow some balls.

Ugh, this whole stupid scenario makes my blood boil!!!!! >:(

More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by eviltrance
Can I call an "emergency retard flashlight meeting" in a cumulonimbus cloud and then push everyone off ?

More
13 years 7 months ago #5 by misterpat

EvilTrance wrote: Can I call an "emergency retard flashlight meeting" in a cumulonimbus cloud and then push everyone off ?

Maybe teach them how to explore at night and not get caught! :D

More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by ashley25
Was on the roof of Overbrook last night around 1am and saw some absolutely monstrous dump trucks hauling ass down Fairview in the direction of ECJA.... :(

More
13 years 7 months ago #7 by EsseXploreR

Ashley25 wrote: Was on the roof of Overbrook last night around 1am and saw some absolutely monstrous dump trucks hauling ass down Fairview in the direction of ECJA.... :(

thanks for that info! i will go see tomorrow and see if it has gotten any more demoed

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
13 years 7 months ago #8 by finalexit
And it's idiots like these fools that ruin it for all of us...I am so glad I got to see the Jail before it's gone....