Anyone know the whereabouts of old military bases/silo's?

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
14 years 11 months ago #1 by Anonymous
In budd lake there is one it has a huge cell tower on top of it. Its on farmland, and during the cold war a massive underground bunker was used to store AT&T communications equipment and personell. Never been there but plan to.

My father and I are really interested in urban exploration of old military sites. Anyone know of any kind around the NJ area, prefferably morris county? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #2 by misterpat
There used to be one in the Floram Park/Hanover area. I don't think its there anymore. I know on Lake Denmark Road in Rockaway there is a EPA clean up of an old missile engine testing facility. If You look on Google Maps, You can see how it heads into Picitiny Arsenal.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
14 years 11 months ago #3 by Anonymous
thank you very much mister pat :D . I'll keep you updated on my finds during the current fishing year....(april-june). Yeh, believe me you go fishing and follow a river down to god knows where...you find interesting things.

Mister pat get this (please forgive me will find the location tommorow), anyway my father and myself (im 24 now he is a 50 year old crazy stamina fishing guru), were going "off the path". Well we went off the path, basically a MILE down from where we even started. We are wearing weighters hip deep in water, dodging pricker bushes etc. I come up to this "hole" in the ground. Didnt realize there was a stick in it. I put 1 leg in, and thankfully one leg only, or I would have been drowning with the fish's 400 feet below by now.

Its kind of a well known fact by fisherman that if you see a large stick hanging out of a hole you dont go near it. This is because (you probably guessed by now) that it was a point where a mine once stood in ww2. This one was the end point of a granite mine vein. Yes i am still hear to talk about it.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
14 years 11 months ago #4 by Anonymous
here is the location the cell phone tower we know of....so innocent looking right?

www.gameknightcrew.com/base.jpg

anyway there you go....yeh its odd...

More
14 years 11 months ago #5 by misterpat
A company called VRI is working at that location. It is actually off 206 on Patricia Dr. I used to deliver freight there and the people there said it was used by the government back years ago. But they wouldn't specify for what.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
14 years 11 months ago #6 by Anonymous
Update specifically for you mister pat :D D

More
14 years 11 months ago #7 by misterpat

raxor wrote: Update specifically for you mister pat :D D

Thats some good info! I never knew that. When I was at the site, it was impressive. Huge radio tower. Not Your normal cell phone tower.