Hanover Airport

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #1 by ashley25
Hanover Airport was created by ashley25
Hi all, last night I had the pleasure of visiting the remains of Hanover Airport with EvilTrance and Grubbs89. We went at night (as usual) so the pics are nothing stellar, but I've provided a link below if you're interested in reading more information about the airfield.

The runway was mostly underwater due to recent flooding, but we were able to walk a few hundred feet down. The cracked and mostly-overgrown pavement attempted to hide several prototypical runway markings, namingly a 'compass' which we believed was the taxiing point for just-landed aircraft. The abandoned hanger was an interesting sight, ominous and unfriendly by the light of the moon and totally overgrown by pricker bushes and unyielding thicket.

From what I gather, Hanover Airport (also referred to as 'East Hanover Airport') was a private airport established shortly after the end of WWII (late 1940's). It boasted a single 2000ft. runway, 2 hangars (the main of which burned down in 1973) and a restaurant which proudly displayed hundreds of model airplanes. The small airport was also home Eagle Flying Services, a flying school, and many in training took lessons here. The runway was something of a challenge considering the business complex across the street, nearby powerlines and surrounding forests. There was not much room for error, and there was rumored to be at least one fatal crash, though I could not find any information. (NOTE: Last picture is Bird's Eye View of Hanover Aiport from Bing Maps.)

For more information and a detailed history of Hanover Airport: members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/NJ/...ds_NJ_NE.htm#hanover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.