Along came a tick

More
14 years 10 months ago #1 by hidinginshadows
Along came a tick....
As far as ticks and Lymes Disease I'm no stranger to high risk activity, such as hiking, fishing, camping, paintball, working with wildlife, u.s. army service, horseback riding and so on. I have had hundreds of those little blood thirsty parasites feast on my life giving blood. I'm a pro at getting a lodged tick out of flesh, give me a pair of tweezers and twenty seconds and it's done.
I always knew the risks, but would not let that stop my love for the outdoors. I am not one of those "it won't happen to me" type of people, actually I'm a realist and think it probably will happen to me.
This spring has been particularly bad as far as ticks. I don't think a day hasn't gone by without atleast seeing a tick on myself. I've pulled about a dozen embedded ticks out of my flesh this season already.
About a week ago I noticed what I thought was a spider bite, which I'm not unacustomed to either. The woundsite grew larger and I noticed it was hot to the touch. After a few days without any sign of getting better I decieded to go to the doctor. I was given a blood test and started on a strong anti-biotic named Doxycycline.

I recieved a call today from DR. Weinberg with news of my bloodwork results. "the test result for the prsesnce of Lymes Disease is POSITIVE".
He assured me that it was detected during early stages, and to continue taking my anti-biotics. He wants to see me again in six weeks and we'll take it from there.
Doxycycline has to be taken on an empty stomach which causes nausea. No food one hour before, and no food three house after. This has seriously altered my eating patterns. I am also experiencing, fatigue, joint pain, and mild headaches.
Prior to this incident I would re-release ticks I found on myself back outside, I don't like to kill anything. I thought I understood that all creatures have there place. A Rabbi once told me that you could commit a sin against a blade of grass. While at work today I felt a tick crawling up my chest. It was a deer tick nymph. I grabbed the tick and before throwing it into the firepit I looked at it and thought to myself, what possible use do these parasites serve in the spectrum of things? I threw it into the fire and upon hearing it crackle in the flame a strange sense of satisfaction overcame me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #2 by misterpat
Replied by misterpat on topic Along came a tick
That blows about the lymes disease. I know it fucked up my cousin pretty good. Hopefully with the early treatment, You beat it.

Your a better man than I. Any tick on me, or near me will die. No second thoughts involved.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3 by hidinginshadows
Replied by hidinginshadows on topic Along came a tick

2x a day for 21 days

More
14 years 10 months ago #4 by lithiumbaby
Replied by lithiumbaby on topic Along came a tick
Damn that sucks, get well soon!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 9 months ago #5 by almostgone
Replied by almostgone on topic Along came a tick
get well soon that sucks and kill every tick you see i will do the same as i always have.

More
14 years 9 months ago #6 by hidinginshadows

• Anonymous
14 years 9 months ago #7 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Along came a tick
if you need help let us know. your probably feeling like hell right now

More
14 years 9 months ago #8 by hidinginshadows
Thanks brother, yea I'm feeling the effects of Lymes Disease. Joint pain, lots of fatigue, flu like symptoms. I'm fighting through it though.

More
14 years 9 months ago #9 by rattlehead
Replied by rattlehead on topic Along came a tick
Hey Rich sorry to hear about your unfortunate run of bad luck, my prayers are with you. GET WELL SOON!

More
14 years 9 months ago #10 by hidinginshadows
Thank you everyone for your kind words, it really means alot to me

More
14 years 9 months ago #11 by karen
Replied by karen on topic Along came a tick
Hope You get well soon!

More
14 years 9 months ago #12 by almostgone
Replied by almostgone on topic Along came a tick
So how are you feeling. Hope you are getting better.

More
14 years 9 months ago #13 by manehawk
Replied by manehawk on topic Along came a tick
This year was horrible for ticks. I stopped counting a while ago.

My dad got lymes disease too. fucking sucks.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14 by lessthanchris1
Replied by lessthanchris1 on topic Along came a tick
Ah, don't worry, you got it early and will be fine. Sucks about the effects of the doxycylene, its an amazing drug and will kill every form of infection you have. you'll probably notice you won't get a pimple for a month now. I can't recall a hike where I didnt pull at least 1 tick off my skin, there have been times where i've pulled off 20. ugh, hate those bastards.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #15 by EsseXploreR
Replied by EsseXploreR on topic Along came a tick
never go hiking in steven state park in the summer if you hate tics. i kept flicking them off me then i told my friend if i see one more im leaving. i look down at my leg, and 3 of those little mofo's were crawling up

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #16 by lithiumbaby
Thanks for bumping this. Almost a year has passed and how do you feel now?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #17 by hidinginshadows
I feel good! Thanks for askin Lith, I felt like shit for a few months, aches and pains, insomnia and fatigue. As winter set in I realized I was 100% again. I did my one cycle of doxycycline, got retested a few months later and was free of lyme bacterium.The scary thing is that its that time of year again. I've already taken a few ticks off me already this season. I wish Lyme Disease was like chicken pocks, a one time deal. Unfortunately its not. Im not worrying about it though, I'm still gonna do my thing. I love nature too much to avoid the woods.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #18 by lithiumbaby
Glad your feeling better! I known of a couple people where Lime's really fucked them and they will have life long complications from it.

luckily for me, bug don't really like me. I really don't get bitten up like my friends do. Perhaps my blood is sour just like my tude.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #19 by rattlehead
Replied by rattlehead on topic Along came a tick
Glad to hear your doing better Rich, just keep a watchful eye and use OFF spray if you are not allergic to it.