Popping my Greystone cherry

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #1 by ashley25
Glorious and majestic, this colossal complex exudes such a cold, callous presence that the wary wanderer cowers in fearful respect at its foundation; lights still glowing from watching windows provide an ominous toothy grin, and swaths of fields waist-high in thicket wrap their immortal fingers around your legs and beg you not to go. The omnipresent scent inside the greying stone beast borders on ancient, waiting as if the passing of time and the fading of memories were a resolute choice, and not the only available reality. It is here that I tread softly, quietly, slinking through the darkness to discover all that has been left behind...

The rest of the photos may be accessed here: www.overbrookhospital.net/gallery/ashley...reystone/greystone-i . Enjoy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by misterpat
Nice job!

The one thing I enjoy about Greystone is the farther out in the wings You go, the more the decay. So You can take pics of it to pretty much any degree.

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by rattlehead
That was so poetic and fourth right, I can say the first time I graced the mountain top of the former EMS GROUNDS I felt the same way, mind you this is without any buildings other then that out building pump house.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by phase1
Replied by phase1 on topic Popping my Greystone cherry
Impressive. How well did You make out taking pics at night? Was it very difficult?

More
13 years 10 months ago #5 by lithiumbaby
Remember the Greystone Pooper?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6 by ashley25
The electricity in the place is great, really sets the mood for some awesome shots. :mrgreen:

Went back last night, and with much godless-heathen joy and ebullience, we found the Chapel:

NEW ALBUM HERE: Greystone Part 2

LOL the Greystone pooper? I HAVE to hear about this.

And that reminds me (Lithium you may appreciate this, LOL) - one of, if not THE nastiest things I've ever seen while exploring was, in the little storage building at ECJA (the white one with spanish roof tiles), one of the rooms filled with patient files and papers, and had become very moldy after a lot of rain. We found piles of animal poop covered in a thick blanket of mold.... Now, I can deal with shit - but moldy shit is where I draw the line.

More
13 years 9 months ago #7 by insanebuslady
Got some nice shots thurr Ashley

#7 from the 2nd set is great. Also I've never seen the chapel, it looks fantastic. You lot may have changed my mind about Greystone, maybe risk<reward

Also I've never heard of the Greystone Pooper, did he crap everywhere?

More
13 years 9 months ago #8 by misterpat
Great job Ashley! Your pictures get better and better.

More
13 years 9 months ago #9 by ashley25
Awww thanks guys! That makes me :D

To me, Greystone is the holy grail of URBEX around here. I feel so lucky to have amazing places like this, ECJA and ECH within such close proximity. It takes a lot of planning and is a pain in the (__!__) to get into, but oh so worth it <3

More
13 years 9 months ago #10 by EsseXploreR
Here you go ashley, this is the artical i read about it when it happened
From NJ.com

Vandals ransacked the old Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany and caused as much as $15,000 in damage to the 132-year-old structure that was abandoned last month, officials said today.
"Furniture was tossed around, doors were forced open and broken, the model of the new Greystone Hospital was destroyed. The place was pretty well torn up,'' said Ellen Lovejoy, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, which runs Greystone.
She also said the persons who broke in defecated on the remains of the hospital model.
The damage was discovered by hospital staff at 10:40 a.m. on Aug. 12, Lovejoy said. State Human Services Police were called in to investigate but have no leads at this time, she said.
A new $170 million Greystone opened last month a short distance from the old hospital, which was mostly emptied of essential equipment and files, and left unattended. The administrative duties that had been handled in the center portion of the old building had been moved to the new hospital, officials said.

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
13 years 9 months ago #11 by 8redrum
Replied by 8redrum on topic Popping my Greystone cherry
Fuckin NOX and Urbex Tom!!! What tools....

More
13 years 9 months ago #12 by ashley25
That sickens me. As much as I love poop jokes and fart humor, whoever pulled such a juvenile stunt should have their shriveled-up balls kicked back up their tight little ass.

(Sorry to assume - if the perpetrators were female, then they all deserve titty-twisters and impregnation via electric carving knives.)

How could someone hurt something that can't even defend itself?? Maybe I'm just too empathetic, even with inanimate objects like rotting old buildings, but I have nothing but love and respect for these places. No one is there to appreciate them.... and then arrogant jerks come along and destroy it for a fleetingly pathetic moment of rebel punk self-righteous aggression.

Pretty stupid and naive of me to assume that all others would feel the same.... :cry:

More
13 years 9 months ago #13 by rattlehead

8ReDRuM wrote: Fuckin NOX and Urbex Tom!!! What tools....

I know that asshole he's a philly explorer if you wanna even call him one, he used to work security for Byberry back before and as it was being demolished as well. I hate to bring up that Hospital because it was loved by many and a sad event when it was destroyed but if any is looking for really good pics and documented details check out an Urb-Exer by the name of GODDOG.

More
13 years 9 months ago #14 by insanebuslady
Ah so I have heard of the Greystone Pooper then. I remember reading that article and laughing my ass off. I mean it is majorly fucked up but I couldnt help myself

More
13 years 5 months ago #15 by abandonedcastles
great photos, it makes you feel you're there. didn't they take some of the benches from the chapel and put it on the new hospital. such as a shame. it was a beautiful chapel, they should've maintained it