Good Times In Jail

More
12 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #1 by Vacant NJ
Good Times In Jail was created by Vacant NJ
Just a handful of old pictures from a lost local favorite.

As is often the case with demolished buildings, nothing remains but pictures and memories. I took these photos a couple of years back, just a few months before the first machines tore through the historic brownstone structure. Today a stretch of manicured grass grows, highlighted by a cookie cutter condominium complex, concealing the penitentiary's once grande foot print. When I look out over the new housing development, I still imagine the curious castle of a jail as it used to sit, obscured behind tall fencing riddled with holes. I'll never forget the anticipation I felt the first time I walked up to the stone structure nor the nearly paralyzing rush of excitement that followed, after I found my way inside. At the time I had no idea of just what a gem of a playground I had wandered into. The following years brought with them many return trips laced with fun and good people.

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: EsseXploreR, misterpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #2 by misterpat
Replied by misterpat on topic Good Times In Jail
Yeah, this place was a lot of fun. I remember the first time we went there we couldnt find a way in. The only way in we found was to the Wardens house. We thought "Something is better than nothing". Well, Ruthven13 found this 2 foot by 2 foot access panel in the basement that led to the tunnel system. Boy did Our day change from there.

The next few trips we used this as our way into the main prison as they boarded up the prison well, but slacked on the wardens house. After time went on and the place got more popular, they either couldn't keep up with re-boarding up the prison or simply gave up. From this time on it was easy to enter and wander about the facility. Soon, it became a popular hang out for people and that's when the problems started. On several occasions we would run into kids throwing things off the roof or lighting papers on fire in the auditorium.

Toward its final days, the fear of running into the police was gone. On my final trip to the place I wandered freely inside and outside the buildings without a problem to be had.

It was a real shame they demoed it all. But if You think of the reality of it, the surrounding neighborhood and the financial obligation, this was there only choice. It all comes down to dollars and cents. What makes more tax revnue while keeping the neighborhood YUPPIES happy? In their minds, it would be get rid of this eye sore and put in something that makes us money.

Its all about the money, fuck history. It doesn't pay.
Attachments:

More
12 years 1 month ago #3 by EsseXploreR
Replied by EsseXploreR on topic Good Times In Jail
Maybe with some fresh windows and some mild interior renovations people wouldn't see it as an eyesore, I know I didn't.

Man i miss this place... :(

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by Vacant NJ
Replied by Vacant NJ on topic Good Times In Jail
Definitely was a wild place. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience it.