Glimpse of History: The Old Essex County clink

More
12 years 6 months ago #1 by EsseXploreR
According to the Verona Historical Society, the Essex County Penitentiary was built on the North Caldwell/Verona border in 1873. Designed by architect Paul Botticher, the building was constructed of brownstone quarried from nearby Little Falls. Prisoners served time at the jail until 2004 when a new, state-of-the-art facility was constructed on Doremus Avenue in Newark. The North Caldwell penitentiary was recently demolished to make room for a housing development. During demolition, workers found prisoners' writings on walls and beams, tin cups and a whiskey bottle more than 100 years old. On Tuesday, the Verona Historical Society will host a "photo tour" of the Essex County Penitentiary. Pictures taken by Trix Rosen and Leslie Granda-Hill will be on display. The prison's mysteries and legends will be discussed and items salvaged from the buildings will be exhibited. The event will take place at the Verona Community Center located at 880 Bloomfield Ave. at 7:30 p.m. For more information, contact the historical society at (973) 857-1968

www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2011/09/...ory_the_old_ess.html

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #2 by insanebuslady
Where were these people when a year ago? Why weren't they more concerned with saving one of the most historical significant structures in the county?

More
12 years 3 months ago #3 by EsseXploreR
I am a trustee of the Verona historical society, and there is nothing they could do. They had a representative from the state come down to see if it was worth saving and he decided it wasn't. Me and every other member of that society would have loved to see it preserved. Luckily, The president of the society and I got permission to photograph it prior to demo.

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"

abandonednjurbex.blogspot.com/

More
12 years 3 months ago #4 by insanebuslady
That amazing brownstone building built in 18-fucking-73 wasnt worth saving?! I can kind of understand the demo of the newer buildings, but the state needs to stop picking it's butt and start saving seriously historic structures! Now a very significant historical building is gone and in it's place, more faceless people-hives.

I want to make it clear that I'm pissed at the state here, I think it's great that you're getting involved in your local historical society
The following user(s) said Thank You: misterpat